Dangerous Household items

Posted by in ARTICLES & TIPS, Resources

Dangerous Household items

Household items that have the potential to cause serious illness, or even death Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (ibuprofen, aspirin, etc.) Acetaminophen Cold and flu medications Anti-depressants Vitamins Home insect products Rat and mouse bait Bleach Diet pills Disinfectants Fabric Softener Lead Lighter Fluid Mothballs Anti-cancer drugs Solvents (paint thinners, etc.) Flea and tick products Drain cleaners Liquid potpourri Slug and snail bait Oven cleaner sprays Lime/scale remover Fly bait Detergents Tobacco...

Read More »

Holiday Hazards

Posted by in ARTICLES & TIPS, Resources

Holiday Hazards

Thanksgiving Bones – Turkey, chicken and other small animal bones are very different from the large bones you find at the pet store. These small bones splinter easily and can cause serious internal damage if swallowed, so NEVER give them to your pet. Hot containers – Your dog or cat will most likely become curious when they smell something cooking. Keep an eye on hot containers so that your pet does not tip them over, causing severe burns. Christmas Holiday plants – The following holiday plants are toxic to cats and dogs: Christmas rose, Holly, Poinsettias, Lilies and Mistletoe. Ribbons – Sure it may look adorable, but placing a ribbon around your pet’s neck may cause them to choke. Bubbling lights – Older forms of this attractive decoration may contain methylene chloride, which is a highly toxic chemical. Fire salts – Contain chemicals that could be harmful to pets. Angel Hair (spun glass) – Can be irritating to eyes and skin, and could cause intestinal obstruction if eaten in large amounts. Christmas tree water – Stagnant tree water or water containing preservatives could result in stomach upset if ingested. Decoration hooks – Can cause blockage and/or trauma to gastrointestinal tract if swallowed. Styrofoam – Can cause your dog or cat to choke if swallowed. Ornaments – These can look like toys to your cat or dog, so keep them out of your pet’s reach so they don’t pose a risk of injury. Tinsel – Can cause choking or internal trauma if swallowed. New Year’s Balloons and Confetti – These are among the common items used to decorate a New Year’s party venue, but can pose an obstruction or choking hazard to your pet if ingested. Be sure to keep an eye on them when they around these items or place them in an area that does not have decorations. Loud noises – New Year’s is typically a noisy holiday. Unfortunately, loud noises frighten pets and can cause them to run off. Keep your pet in a separate room, away from noisemakers, music and other loud sounds that may startle them. Alcohol – Alcoholic beverages are toxic to pets and should never be given to your dog or cat. Halloween Happy Halloween Everyone! Halloween for your pets is different than for us. Please be aware that treats/candy that would normally be out of reach may be accessible to your pets during this time. Along with the dangers of some of these treats, your dog or cat may ingest the wrapper that they came in. Unfortunately people leave candy wrappers on the ground in the park, on your street, or anywhere. These wrappings can cause blockages and even death. Many candies and gums now use artificial sweeteners such as Xylitol which are toxic to your animals. Decorations are fun for us but may be scary for your pet (eating them is...

Read More »

Dangerous pet areas in your home

Posted by in ARTICLES & TIPS, Resources

Dangerous pet areas in your home

Indoors Balconies – Tall balconies without safety railings may lead to a dangerous fall. Bath tubs or sinks – When filled with water, a bath tub or a sink can cause a small pet to drown. Doors and windows – Open doors and windows commonly lead to dogs and cats running across busy roads. Electrical cords – Can cause electrocution if plugged into an outlet Fireplace – Flames can result in serious burns to your pet and ashes can cause illness if ingested. Toilets – Toilet water is not healthy for pets to drink; always remember to close the lid. Washer and dryer – Your dog or can can easily crawl into a washer or dryer without you knowing, so be sure to close the doors to these appliances when you are not using them. Outdoors Algae – Can be found in ponds or other bodies of water, certain forms can be toxic. Antifreeze/Coolant – Some types of antifreeze or coolant products contain ethylene glycol, which is highly toxic to dogs and cats, even in small amounts. Fire pit/Grill – Flames can result in serious burns and ashes can cause illness if ingested. Fences/Gates – Openings in damaged fences or gates can be used by your cat or dog to run away or could lead to strangulation if they become stuck. Deck lattice – Your dog or cat could become stuck in the openings under your deck and possibly strangle. De-icing Salts – Some formulations may contain chemicals that are hazardous to pets if ingested in large amounts. Look for “pet-friendly” de-icing salts. Compost (particularly if moldy) Gasoline Oil Pesticides Cocoa bean shell mulch fertilizer Swimming pools and hot tubs – Never leave your pet unattended near uncovered pools, even if they can...

Read More »

Objects that cause choking & Dog CPR

Posted by in ARTICLES & TIPS, Resources

Objects that cause choking & Dog CPR

18 Objects that can cause puncture wounds, choking or internal organ damage to your pet Balls (specifically balls that are small or have a smooth outer coating) Batteries Bread twist ties Buttons Coins Cotton swabs Glass Hair pins and hair ties Jewelry Nylons (pantyhose) Paper clips Plastic wrap Socks Rubber bands Sharp objects (knives, razors, scissors, nails, needles, etc.) String/yarn/dental floss Towels...

Read More »