Holiday Hazards

Posted by in ARTICLES & TIPS, Resources

Holiday Hazards

Thanksgiving

Bones – Turkey, chicken and other small animal bones are very different from the large bones you find at the pet store. These small bones splinter easily and can cause serious internal damage if swallowed, so NEVER give them to your pet.
Hot containers – Your dog or cat will most likely become curious when they smell something cooking. Keep an eye on hot containers so that your pet does not tip them over, causing severe burns.

Christmas

Holiday plants – The following holiday plants are toxic to cats and dogs: Christmas rose, Holly, Poinsettias, Lilies and Mistletoe.
Ribbons – Sure it may look adorable, but placing a ribbon around your pet’s neck may cause them to choke.
Bubbling lights – Older forms of this attractive decoration may contain methylene chloride, which is a highly toxic chemical.
Fire salts – Contain chemicals that could be harmful to pets.
Angel Hair (spun glass) – Can be irritating to eyes and skin, and could cause intestinal obstruction if eaten in large amounts.
Christmas tree water – Stagnant tree water or water containing preservatives could result in stomach upset if ingested.
Decoration hooks – Can cause blockage and/or trauma to gastrointestinal tract if swallowed.
Styrofoam – Can cause your dog or cat to choke if swallowed.
Ornaments – These can look like toys to your cat or dog, so keep them out of your pet’s reach so they don’t pose a risk of injury.

Tinsel – Can cause choking or internal trauma if swallowed.

New Year’s

Balloons and Confetti – These are among the common items used to decorate a New Year’s party venue, but can pose an obstruction or choking hazard to your pet if ingested. Be sure to keep an eye on them when they around these items or place them in an area that does not have decorations.

Loud noises – New Year’s is typically a noisy holiday. Unfortunately, loud noises frighten pets and can cause them to run off. Keep your pet in a separate room, away from noisemakers, music and other loud sounds that may startle them.

Alcohol – Alcoholic beverages are toxic to pets and should never be given to your dog or cat.

Halloween

Happy Halloween Everyone! Halloween for your pets is different than for us. Please be aware that treats/candy that would normally be out of reach may be accessible to your pets during this time. Along with the dangers of some of these treats, your dog or cat may ingest the wrapper that they came in. Unfortunately people leave candy wrappers on the ground in the park, on your street, or anywhere. These wrappings can cause blockages and even death. Many candies and gums now use artificial sweeteners such as Xylitol which are toxic to your animals. Decorations are fun for us but may be scary for your pet (eating them is also something to watch out for). Many move or make sounds that are not familiar to them.
Pets are naturally curious, and may be attracted to the flickering light of a flame. Dogs and cats could either burn themselves by the flame, or knock the candle over, accidentally setting your house on fire. We all know about chocolate, and some of us know about raisins,
Xylitol & Other Artificial Sweeteners – Candy or gum sweetened with artificial sweeteners are toxic and may be fatal to many animals and should be kept away from your pet.
Pranks – Some pets, specifically black cats, have become victims of torture and abuse during Halloween, so be sure to keep your pet indoors.

 

Fourth of July

Fireworks – Fireworks not only scare pets and cause them to run off, but they can also cause serious injuries if detonated near your dog or cat. Many formulations can be potentially toxic to pets if ingested as well.
The 4th of July may be an uncomfortable time for your pets. This is the holiday that is the busiest for shelters across the country as many dogs run away during the fireworks shows. Here are some tips to help your animals deal with the fireworks.
1. Keep your dog(s) inside the house.
2. Play music and/or the television louder than normal to help cover the sound of the fireworks.
3. Put them in a room that is the most interior of the house (no windows).
4. Closing curtains and blinds and/or covering windows if possible.
5. Aromatherapy works for animals also…have any lavender oil or Camomile?
6. Take your dog(s) for a very long walk just before the sun goes down to make them tired.
7. Give them something very yummy inside a kong or similar toy to keep them occupied.
8. Get calming treats from your favorite pet store – read the directions carefully – do not give them extra!
9. If your dog really freaks out you can ask your vet for a mild sedative, but try the other things before medicating your dog.
Have a safe and fun 4th of July!!!

Easter

Fake grass – This colorful “grass” may look appetizing to your pet, but actually poses a choking and intestinal obstruction hazard if ingested.

Small toys and other plastic items – If swallowed, small toys and plastic Easter eggs can cause your pet to choke or even damage their intestinal tract.

Valentine’s Day

Flowers – Many types of flowers and plants that are found in the bouquets are harmful to dogs and cats.

St. Patrick’s Day

Beer and other alcoholic beverages are dangerous for your pets.